When we think of fine natural hair, we think of a luxurious full head of hair but this isn’t the case for many naturalistas out there.
Fine hair comes in all textures and type 4 hair isn’t any exception. While there is often a negative connotation with having fine hair, the benefits are rarely discussed.
Here are five benefits of having hair that is on the finer side.
1. The sometimes dreaded “wash day” can be more of a breeze. When your hair is thicker, you would have section it off, working through one section at a time. When your hair is fine, you’re able to accomplish a thorough wash without having to go section by section.
2. Your hair would require less hair products because there is less volume. While naturalistas with thicker hair require more hair product, finer haired naturals can actually use the recommended dime size and feel satisfied.
Also you wouldn’t have to invest in heavy cream and shea based butters, which tend to be on the more expensive side. Finer haired naturals can skip the heavier products and go for lighter products such as coconut oil or aloe vera.
When you have fine hair, you’ll want to avoid using products that weigh your hair down. They can make your hair appear even thinner.
3. Thick hair and coarser strands call for more manipulation into a desired style. With fine hair, blow-drying, flat-ironing, and even bunning your hair can prove to be an easier task.
Just be careful that when applying heat to fine hair, you’re not leaving it for too long and use a medium to low setting.
4. Fine hair tends to keep its composure in the heat, while thicker hair seems to have a mind of its own once the humidity hits. With finer hair, your scalp is more exposed so the heat has a way to escape. This results in less frizziness.
5. Having a head of hair on the finer side means that your hair requires less styling time. For example, a set of twists or box braids can take four or more hours on someone with thicker hair.
On a head of fine natural hair, this process can take two hours or less. So you can end up saving money because stylist can get away with spending less time on your hair!